Win Out of Africa
We have teamed up with Fabulous Films, a TV and Film distribution company who own the media distribution rights to many Classic Films & TV shows, to bring our readers another great competition. This time we have a Blu-ray of the classic film Out of Africa to be won by one lucky reader.
Winner of 7 Academy Awards including Best Picture, this exquisite, intelligent romantic drama based on the life of Karen Blixen, was the most highly acclaimed film of its time. Directed and produced by Academy Award winner Sydney Pollack, the film brilliantly captures time and place, with superb performances by Meryl Streep, Robert Redford and Klaus Maria Brandauer, sumptuous photography and a rich musical score.
Background: Loosely based on the 1937 autobiographical book Out of Africa, written by Isak Dinesen (the pseudonym of Danish author Karen Blixen), the film was originally planned as a project for Greta Garbo. At various times, Orson Welles, David Lean and Nicolas Roeg had tried to make a film about Blixen. Meryl Streep reportedly landed the part by showing up for her meeting with the director wearing a low-cut blouse and a push-up bra, as Pollack had originally thought the actress did not have enough sex appeal for the role.
Cast: There is a fabulous supporting cast: Klaus Maria Brandauer (Never Say Never Again) played Baron Bror Blixen, Leslie Phillips (Carry On Nurse) was Sir Joseph Aloysius Byrne, Michael Kitchen (Goldeneye) as Berkeley Cole; Michael Gough (Alfred in Batman) as Lord Delamere; Suzanna Hamilton (1984) as Felicity, and the model/actress Iman as Mariammo.
Danger! The film was shot on location in Africa, but local laws prohibited the use of wild animals in film. Trained lions were imported from California. In one scene, a lion attacks one of the oxen and Karen tries to fight it off with a whip. Meryl Streep was assured that the lion would be tethered by one of its back legs so he couldn’t get too close. When the scene was shot, the lion had no restraint, and it got closer than Streep anticipated. The fear on her face is real. Industrial strength fire extinguishers were used to keep the lions at bay.
This film differs significantly from the book. Scenes show Karen as owning only one dog, but actually, she had two dogs named Dawn and Dusk. Never trust a film maker.
Academy Awards: 7 Wins from 11 nominations. Best Picture, Best Director, Best Art Direction, Best Cinematography, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Original Score, Best Sound. Best At Winning Awards. Plus nominations: Best Actress (Meryl Streep), Best Supporting Actor (Klaus Maria Brandauer), Costume Design, Film Editing.
Synopsis: The true-life story of Karen Blixen (Meryl Streep), an amazingly strong willed woman who moves from Denmark to run a coffee plantation with her philandering husband (Klaus Maria Brandauer) in Kenya around 1914. To her astonishment she soon discovers herself falling in love with the land, its people and a mysterious adventurer and idealist (Robert Redford).
For your chance to win Out of Africa on Blu-ray
all you have to do is answer the following question correctly:
For the filming of Out of Africa where were the lions imported from?
Only entries submitted using our form will be accepted
Competition ends 28/09/2020
Winners will be notified by email
Take a look at our other competitions here.
Good luck! and don’t forget to share!
Terms and Conditions
- Only one member of each household may enter. Duplicate entries will be deleted.
- By entering any of our competitions you agree that your first name and town will be posted on our website in the event that you are a winner.
- We reserve the right to amend the end date of any competition.
- Your personal details are only used for the purposes of sending out any prize you may win and are deleted after the competition ends and a winner selected.
- Prizes are as specified and can not be exchanged for cash or an alternative prize.
- Some prizes may be sent direct from sponsors and we cannot be held liable for any prizes that are lost/unclaimed.
- Only fully completed entries via our Competition Entry Form will be accepted, all others will be deleted.
- Any entries deemed suspicious or from bots will be deleted.
- We reserve the right to refuse any entry.
- No cash alternatives will be offered.
- No bulk entries of entries from third parties and/or automated services will be accepted.
- Competition is open to UK residents only.
- The judges decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into.